Acadiens, or Cajuns as they are now called, still remain a shining example of cultural heritage and diversity in America. The culture itself, which is a mixture of French, Celtic, Scots-Irish, and Native American are all evident in the music, dances, food, and language of this wonderfully diverse people. The Festival Acadiens held in Lafayette, Louisiana is a tribute to all things Cajun, and this year promises to be one of the best ever!
This year marks the 250th anniversary of the arrival of the Acadiens in Southern Louisiana. So grab your family and start making plans. Book yourself a room at our cottages near Lafayette, so that you can make the most out of the Festivals Acadiens this year!
Here are 5 Ways to Make the Most of the 2015 Festivals Acadiens:
- If you love history, then check out Robert Dafford perform “The Arrival of Acadiens to Louisiana.” Learn the full story of how this rich culture arrived here in south Louisiana! This will be performed from September 4th to October 11th 2015, at the Paul and Lulu Hillard Art Museum.
- Party hardy at the “Tintamardigras” celebration Friday, October 9th. Grab your noise makers, masks, and costumes and cut loose on the University of Lafayette’s campus. Festivities will include live music from Terry Huval and Jambalaya as well as special guests: Bruce Daigrepont, Waylon Thibodeaux, Gina Forsyth, Hert LeBlanc, and Joel Sonnier, among others, and will close with Gino Delafose and French Rockin’ Boogie!
- Engorge yourself at the Festivals Acadiens’ Bayou Food Festival in Lafayette! From October 9th through 11th at Girard Park, the Bayou Food Festival will have a plethora of Cajun and Creole cuisine to sample, including: corn and crab bisque, seafood and artichoke lasagna, catfish courtbouillion, barbecue boudin, soft-shell crab, crawfish fettuccini, wild game jambalaya, meat pies, and much more! Come eat the best authentic Cajun food money can buy!
- Learn to make authentic Cajun arts and crafts including Jewelry, Mosaic Glass, Painting, and many more at the Louisiana Craft Fair! Being held from October 10th-11th at Girard Park, the Louisiana Craft Fair will provide tons of entertainment for the entire family.
- Get a romantic weekend away in nearby Rayne, at the Maison D’Memoire Bed and Breakfast! Just minutes from all the festivities in a romantic and secluded setting, come enjoy being catered to at our top rated Louisiana bed and breakfast. A true “home away from home,” we offer amenities such as: breakfast delivered to your door every morning, a romantic scenic lake view from your own private porch, and even Jacuzzi suites! This is the perfect complement to what promises to be a fun and activity-filled weekend!